Friday, May 22, 2009

Star Trek: Movies, Movies, Movies all week



Earlier this month I decided to go to the movies out of the blue during the week, which I do not normally do. As I like to see more than one movie at a time, especially if I am actually paying myself. Which I usually don't, so since I had free tickets and Star Trek was actually playing a day earlier than initially advertised in the papers. So I saw it on the Thursday before it's official release date. Now I am not a Trekie (or Treker) by any means, but I do like Star Trek in general as well as most (good/well written) Science Fiction. So I wasn't as upset as most people when it came to the new creative team changing or tweaking so many things about the original and their giving the original series a reboot as it were. Which in this case involved time travel...A plot device that Star Trek films have to stop relying so heavily upon in the future, as this make the 5th Star Trek film to do so. If you count the numerous television incarnations, time travel accounts for almost 10% of the total amount of episode plot lines. But it actually worked surprisingly well in this film since they essentially reset the Star Trek history or continuity as we know it. Meaning they are free to do pretty much anything they want with the subsequent films, picking and choosing elements from previously established history as they wish. And what's even better is they effectively or potentially eliminated all of the nonsense surrounding the bad Star Trek films, and could even completely redo them if they wished as well as correct any of their respective flaws. Such as the horrible Shatner directed Star Trek 5 and the other odd numbered films that just plan sucked!


The pictures that you see to go along with this Blog were taken months before the films actually finished shooting. My former university, CSUN or cal State University Northridge, doubled for Star Fleet Academy. Which is why I was able to get some many shots of cadets going about their business as it were. If I knew for sure that some of the major players were going to be on campus, I would have taken more pictures of stood around longer. But if you live in the LA area like I do, then you have seen countless movies and TV shows being filmed, and it can all get to be rather tedious. Plus I was getting guff from security who claimed I couldn't take any pictures, but that was actually bullshit. CSUN is a State school, which means it's funded in part by tax payers dollars. As such it is technically public property, and you cannot tell people what they can or cannot take pictures of on public property. Even if you are filming a movie, which is something not everyone knows.


back to the film itself. Some of the casting itself was brilliant, and I especially liked how Zachery ( something) portrayed Spoke. I actually felt sorry for his character, and Vulcans are one of the fictional species where they have a very rich and interesting back story or full characterization.

No comments:

Post a Comment