Sunday, January 17, 2010

Movie Hopping: Book of Eli & Youth in Revolt



On a side note, this totally sucks! I had just finished typing up my review for Book of Eli and Youth in Revolt, when blogspot said there was some sort of problem and my reviews disappeared. So now I will be attempting to re-write the entire thing from memory and it will naturally not be the same which is very, very annoying!


This past Saturday was my semi weekly movie hopping day where I saw Youth in Revolt, Book of Eli and a little less than an hour of Sherlock Holmes ( My second time seeing the film). Mainly to kill time in between the first two films because they had different starting times. The first film I saw was Youth in Revolt which was really, really funny, with some clever lines of dialogue and some unique visual tricks. I especially liked the animated or claymation bumper scenes as they really added something different to the film and gave it an overall unique presentation or vibe if you will. The film stars Michael Cera as a completely lovesick virgin going through extreme measures to win the love of one seemingly unobtainable girl. Going so far as to create an alternate personality who is vastly different from his film's character, and indeed vastly different from the majority of characters Michael Cera has previously portrayed in many of his film. Something which actually helped make this film more than just a typical Michael Cera film and can only do the actor some good. For I feel that playing the same types of characters, similar to the one he originated on Arrested Development will only harm his career or at least lead to more and more stereotyping in terms of future film roles. I especially liked the animated or claymation bumper scenes as that really added something different to the film and gave it an overall unique presentation or vibe if you will.


The next film I saw was Book of Eli, staring Denzel Washington as a lone man on a mission wandering the world after a devastating nuclear attack/event. Supposedly charged by God with the purpose of delivering a sacred book unto those who truly need and deserve it. Along the way Denzel Washington's character meets numerous souls, both good and bad, some of whom want the book for their own nefarious purposes and others who will unknowingly be touched by it. The book in question naturally being the Holy Bible, giving the film an overall religious slant or vibe to it. Though luckily the film itself is very well done and entertaining, and doesn't feel at all preachy or like a 2 hour sermon. It actually had some rather nice things to say in regards to faith which I do not feel you have to be religious to understand or benefit from. There is especially a very nice Aha moment at the end in regards to the power of faith that I think makes the film worth seeing, if only for that, but it is still a good film nonetheless. Despite the fact that I was initially reminding of the much more depressing film, The Road, as they both have similar looks and themes, but luckily Book of Eli is nowhere near as depressing. Even though both films feature images of a post nuclear world, and the completely desolate and hopeless remaining humans without much of anything in terms of survival including the ability to read. Another reason why the sacred Book Eli is protecting is even more valuable now in the films trying times.


I think I liked what I originally wrote better, as it seemed to flow a lot better than this rewritten post. Sorry about that, I will take better steps next time to preserve what I have been writing as I write it.

No comments:

Post a Comment