Saturday, December 19, 2009

AVATAR, Did you hear about the Morgans? & The Road






This Saturday I Saw AVATAR, Did you hear about the Morgans, & The Road back to back to back. Mainly because movies are so darn expensive now, you truly have to see more than one just to get your monies worth. The first film I saw was Avatar in 3D. Which was visually amazing to behold. A true joys to the eyes! I really enjoyed the vast, lush alien world, and especially it's flora and fauna. The CGI was breathtaking, the story was good, even the heavy handed message about the environment and how we destroy everything that is natural and good. My only problem with the film as a whole was that the 3D glasses made the film a little too dark, since they are essentially sun glasses. I also have a tendency not to blink during any 3D film, so my eyes started to really hurt half way through the film. And I had to constantly remind myself, or make myself blink every so often. As such I plan to see this amazing film again, albeit in non 3D format. Maybe when I am in Vegas for Christmas, as I am sure I will have lots of free time.


Next I saw most of Did you hear about the Morgans? The film was just so so, with a few good one liners. Mostly by Hugh Grant, who has got to get film roles like he use to have back in the day in the UK?Europe. As his career will end in flames if he is always playing the self deprecating Englishman. Though as far as fluff films go, and this was definitely a fluff film, it was not bad. I had no expectations about this film going into it, and really only say it to kill time between Avatar and The Road.


The last film I saw, The Road, was depressing as hell! Just as any decent end of the world film truly should be. Basically there is some sort of end of the world event, though we are never told. Maybe in the book, but I have not read it. But since Viggo Mortensen's character started coughing up blood at one point, I am going to assume it was nuclear in nature. Especially since all wild life and flora was apparently killed off in the event. Which left Viggo's character and his son alone in a world, vastly different and more hostile than anything you and I are accustomed to. Roaming from desolate town to desolate town, in search of resources, food and hopefully people that wont eat them. As it seems the end of the world brings out the very best in man and inspires rabid acts of cannibalism. Personally if the world ever reached such a state, I would definitely kill myself shortly after the world went to hell in a hand basket like the mother (Charlize Theron) did in the film. I know I would definitely have smacked around the main kid/Viggo's son in the film, as he was annoying as hell! And yes, I am aware that children are not supposed to be hardened emotionaless indivisuals, but thi swas the end of the world. You would have to grow up real fast in such an environment, and not run around crying and acting incredibly stupid in a world filled with gun totting cannibals. As the kid basically wanted to trust anyone he came upon, despite teh fact that almost everyone he met wanted to eat him. He also ran around unsupervised, made noise when he should be quiet and was too scared to hold a gun even when he needed to for protection! Viggo's character was way too soft on his son. If I was in his situation, I would have had to knock him out a few times and drag him away to prevent him from being stupid or giving away their location. But luckily it is not the end of the world, and I will not have to face such personal decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment