Friday, December 18, 2009

Rachel getting Married



Recently on a DVD I rented from the library, I saw Rachel getting Married. And I can honestly say that I really don't like improvised films, whether it be via it's direction, dialogue or what not, I do not like it all! Unscripted movies just seem way too unrealistic to me, when the whole point of improvisation is so the film will see more real to begin with. Plus Anne Hathaways character is so unbearably narcissistic that she is completely unlikable as a character. If I had a family member like that, I would ban her from all family events and I definitely would not invite her to my wedding. Especially if they were drug addicts, recovering or not, who had killed my sibling while high off their ass and driving! A major reveal in the film that I have now spoiled for a lot of people, but truthfully the film was not that good.


Plus Rachel, who isn't even the fim's main character despite the fact that she is getting married, is marrying some random totally boring black guy. Not that there is anything wrong with that, seeing as I am part black myself, it is just that the film goes out of it's way to show a multitude of cultural diversity examples it is annoying as hell! I mean in the film we are subjected to traditional folksy music, black music, carribean music, jazz, modern, rock, ballads, hippie shit and the list goes on and on and on. The film is practically another film entirely in it's extreme diversity, that it becomes a parody of itself almost. I mean I personally come from a very mixed family, but there is a limit to how much cultural crap you can stand let alone pile into an evening, even a wedding, nor want to stand in the in the first place! If this was a wedding I had attended personally, I would have gone insane and left before it was over! I know the film was trying to send a message that we are all the same, and we all have things that make us special and unique and that we can all get along, but who really wants to!


Either way the film really does either way too much or way too little. Too much in all the cultural Mumbo-Jumbo and not enough in terms of have scripted, intelligent dialogue. The characters are also either totally under developed, boring or lack charisma, or they are over the top and totally annoying like Hathaway's recovering drug addict. That you don't give a shit about, because everything about her and every single scene she was in was all about her. Even her sister's wedding was all about her and the entire film just left me cold. Family or no family, people like her need to be avoided at all costs, just like this film needs to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment