Friday, October 16, 2009

Just too Darn Old to Drive!





Today while I was getting a light snack at Wendys...I know, I know it's horrible and I should not eat there, but I was in the area and I really wanted some 99 cents Chili and a Vanilla Shake, I happened to notice an elderly man getting out of his car. This was on my way to the restroom to use the facilities and to wash my hands afterwards. This above mentioned man was still getting out of his car when I returned to the front counter to place my order. The simple act of getting out of his car alone took several minutes total and once he finally managed to extricate himself from his vehicle, he had to use a walker and was incredibly slow. He was also hunched over and couldn't really see or hear well. Which made me think about a subject that has been milling around in the back of a lot of people's heads from time to time for quite awhile now. The simple fact that a lot of elderly people out there on the road are simply too old to continue to drive or to continue to be allowed to drive moving vehicles. For there is not a doubt in my head that the man I saw with the walker, could every react quickly enough in any situation that required quick reflexes or making a split second decision. Decisions that average drivers, especially here in LA are often faced with. Which makes drivers like the walker-man, extremely dangerous on the road and me fearful for my own safety knowing that they are out there.


Which is why I would suggest or support any ruling that forced drivers over a certain age, let's say 70 to have to take an actual driving test, not the paper on, each year they wish to continue to operate a moving vehicle. And this test would also see if they are in fact still lucid enough to drive in the first place. As there are some elderly individuals that are rather mobile for their age but they mind is not what I once was, and these people should also not be allowed to drive under an circumstances. Though getting a bill like this to pass would be very hard, since most of the voting public is the elderly. Especially in states like Florida, which is known as a retirement state. Still issues like this rally do need to be addressed as elderly drivers have been the main cause of death in several auto related accidents.




No comments:

Post a Comment