Thursday, September 10, 2009

Back from Europe Malaise

I recently returned from Europe and have been somewhat out of it ever since. Although that is pretty much the norm with me when it comes to such trips. You know that strange or odd feeling you can get, akin to dread, that comes over you when you return to someplace you have haven't been to or seen in awhile. Where you know things will not be the same as you left, or in some cases exactly the same...Though said feeling is nowhere near the strange kinds of feelings I was having after having lived in Europe for 3 years non stop. As that was really an ordeal coming back to the US, and just in time for E3 ( You would not believe how quickly one can get used to not having a lot of noise or flashing lights on a semi daily basis. Which made E3 almost a painful experience as there is a lot less noise and light pollution in Europe!)

Anyway Europe was fun, but it is not the same as it was. In fact it is getting a little bit worse. Most of my friends are of course older and naturally have girlfriends/boyfriends, wives/husbands, kids and a lot more responsibilities. So it is harder and harder to see my friends, and I spend less and less time with people I actually knew from before. Which while understandable is also a little bit depressing. Plus I can't stay out all night drinking everyday like I did before and found myself recuperating for longer and longer periods of time in between drinking and party sessions. I also just don't enjoy taking trains everywhere, staying up all night and sleeping in tents during music festivals in the pouring rain and mud like I used to. So I have to wonder how many more Europe trips I have in me. After all I went to Europe a total of 3 times within a 365 day period, which I haven't done for about a decade now. Plus the economy sucks! I hate losing 30 bucks for every 100 I spend! That is 30% and it quickly adds up. It wasn't that bad when it was within 10% as you can write that off mentally to tax or something, but 1/3 of your money going to exchange fees is ridiculous! All that wasted money was at least a mini vacation's worth somewhere in Ibiza or Majorca and I could have definitely enjoyed myself if that was possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment