Thursday, September 17, 2009

Friends: Can't live with them. Can't kill them & bury them in the woods.

I just realized that my sub title for this post is very misleading. I will expand upon that misleading theme at another time. Sorry for any confusion this might cause.

Originally I am from Northern California, which I have to say is a lot different from Los Angeles. And in some ways, much better. In the Bay Area I knew all of my friends last names, I knew where they lived and I even knew their parents as well as brothers and sisters. Here in LA, you are lucky if you know Simeon's last name. Which is why it was very hard for me to meet people when I first came here way back in 1992 for school ( CSUN, a horrible school & I would not recommend it unless you are a business major). I assumed I would be able to act as I did in the Bay Area and just approach people at random who I wanted to be friends with like I did back home. Apparently doing such things in LA is the equivalent of offering them crack or to take a big steamy dump on their chest. Which really is a shame, as it took a lot longer for me to make new friends here & that kind of takes it's toll on a person. Plus the Northridge earthquake happened in 1994 & pretty much all of the friends I had made, simply moved away or transferred to other schools. Not leaving a forwarding address or anything & since I didn't know their parents there was no way for me to track them down. But in LA this is just considered normal behavior apparently, people & friends drift in and out of your lives, which I feel is a shame. It is one of the (many) reasons that as soon as I have kids, if I have kids, I will move away from here. I do not want my kids to grow up to be shallow individuals or think that having a bunch of acquaintances is the same than having a few true & lifelong friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment