Thursday, September 17, 2009

Europe for the past 20 odd years: My how time flies!


I just realized that for over 20 years now I have been in Europe for 1 to 3 times each and every year. I was looking at some of my old passports and counting up the stamps, which is quite a lot, and they never used to stamp my passport til after 9/11. So I assume I have a lot more than shows in my passports. The first time I went to Europe I was or I think i was 7 years old. My Mother took me to France to meet most of my family for the 1st time. I had met my Grandmother a few times because she came to visit us around the holidays. I didn't speak very much French at the time and she didn't speak English, so we didn't exactly talk all that much. I do remember the wonderful candies she brought me form Europe though. We traveled around by train a lot and saw my Aunts and Uncles in Viazon ( I think that is how it is spelled), Orleans and Lyons if I remember correctly. I remember that a lot of them were Farmerish or didn't exactly live in the city which was new for me. I also remember having milk with grenadine for the first time, which I highly recommend if you have not tried it before. I also remember my family always playing with my big mop of curly hair and kissing me repeatedly on the cheeks, which at that age, I wasn't having! My mother was the youngest of like 7 kids ( I think, a few have died of old age and so I am not sure anymore), so none of my cousins were close in age to me except for Bertrand. And that was not exactly because of happy circumstances. Apparently his parents 1st child died in a car or motorcycle accident and adopted Bertrand later in life, and that is the only reason why he is close to me in age ( I think he is 5 or less years younger than me). I have tried to establish contact with him, but I don't actually know what his last name is or where he is living. Not talking to my Mother doesn't exactly help and my brother being the person he is refuses to ask on my behalf ( We both have issues with our Mother, while I opted to take myself out of the situation, my Brother just represses all his feelings as usual). Which is shame because my Brother shows no interest whatsoever in the fact that we are technically 1st generation French Americans and have only been out of the country twice in his life. Once our Mother passes away ( I would say within the next 10 years), we will have no direct ties to our French side of the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment