Saturday, September 19, 2009

Speak English Please!

Everyone living in the US full time needs to speak English. Sometimes it amazes me that individuals who have been living in the US for years, cannot speak English. An example would be just now while riding the bus. The back door didn't open and the guy waiting couldn't even say, "Open the back door please." I only lived in Austria for 2 years and I can ask for & say a lot more than that in German. I can even do it in French, Spanish and Japanese. Regardless whatever country you have chosen to live em>in, you need to be able to speak the (official) language of that country or at least be able to communicate basic needs and wants. Oh and please, please do not use your children as translators! I am so offended when I see parents use their children, usually under 10, as translators. If you have been in the country long enough to give birth to a child who can speak English, you have had more than enough time to learn English yourself. I think the US is one of the only countries that actually spends tax payers dollars on providing city, statel and local Government material in more than one language. Such as DMV, Tax, and other city forms. Whereas other countries realize that if you are making use of such services, than you should do so in the respective native language. Which reminds, I would love to see how much money the tax payers of America spend on translating such material or providing biligual services? I bet it is quite a lot of money that could be better spent on health care and education.

No comments:

Post a Comment