Monday, September 28, 2009

Travel Tip: Number 1


Check Baggage Fees: Make sure you know before you buy your ticket


Unfortunately in today's economy a lot of companies are downsizing or essentially charging more for less. In terms of air travel this means no food on certain flights, or being charged for your meals. It also means paying more for your baggage as well as being able to take far less with you to begin with. Which really affects those of us out there who travel abroad quite frequently, as most airlines reduced the weight limit on checked luggage by 20 pounds or more per person or started charging up to $50 for additional checked bags.


Recently I bought a round trip ticket to New Orleans for Mardi Gras and I paid just a little more than $400 for a round trip flight. Which was only a little less than Southwest Airlines, but it was a direct flight unlike Southwest. Little did I know that the airline I had chosen to fly with would be charging me an additional $20 per bag per way, adding up to an additional $40 for the flight and that is if I only take 1 checked bag with me ( which I plan to do now because of the baggage fee). Making my initially cheaper flight the same price as Southwest. If I had known ahead of time I would flown with Southwest to begin with since they still do not charge for checked baggage and one stop flight is only slightly longer than the non stop flight I I could have just read a book or played PSP). Which is why it is important for you to check to see if the airline you are planning to use charges for bags or bags of a certain size or weight? Most airlines are actually charging for all checked baggage now, and only a very few of them charge only for the 2nd checked bag. This applies to both domestic and international flights, though it is slightly better for international flights since you are already paying more for your flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment